As happens every year, FOSDEM is taking place on the first weekend of February. Several Replicant contributors will be at the event, eager to meet with other people interested in the project.
During Saturday Replicant will share a little corner on Technoethical’s stand. There will be flyers, stickers and some phones running demo versions of Replicant 9.
Later that day, Replicant is having a Birds of a Feather (BoF) meeting:
- Location: room J.1.106, ULB, Brussels, Belgium
- Date: Saturday, February 1st 2020, between 16:00 and 17:00 CET
- Event page: https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/bof_replicant/
The meeting is open for everyone interested in the Replicant project (users, developers, devices vendors, etc.). Access is public and free as in beer.
Here’s a non-exhaustive list of the topics that will be up for debate:
- Replicant 9 status on the i9300/i9305: bootloader, modem, LCD, audio, graphics.
- Future targets: PinePhone, Librem5.
- WebView dependency on non-free Chromium.
- Android build system.
- Replicant infrastructure: servers, test benches, build machines.
- Long term project sustainability.
- Supported mainline kernel phones, what kernel versions brought what support and what is upcomming in the next kernel versions.
- How the endorsement of stores selling Replicant devices should work.
- Wiki migration from Redmine to MediaWiki.
- Upstream and maintainership of the code of Replicant 9 that enables to use an upstream kernel.
- Relationship with LineageOS on supporting the Galaxy SIII.
If there’s any other topic you deem as relevant please let us know in the comment section, mailing list or IRC. Everyone’s point of view is welcomed.
On Sunday’s afternoon, there will be a talk at the Hardware Enablement devroom on the topic of “Extending the lifetime of smartphones with Replicant”:
- Location: room K.4.401, ULB, Brussels, Belgium
- Date: Sunday, February 2nd 2020, between 16:00 and 16:55 CET
- Event page: https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/replicant/